Sunday, June 28, 2009

Quadricentennial Flotilla Part III

After viewing the flotilla from a distance at Clermont (the main channel there is on the West side of the River, Clermont is on the East bank), I was excited to go to Catskill to see some of the boats up close. I was also excited because again, I got to be a part of the festivities, not just a witness-- the Catskill High School band performed before and after the arrival of the boats in the freight master's building, and alumni were invited to perform.

After leaving Clermont, I was filled with excitement as I crossed the Rip Van Winkle Bridge- I could already see a crowd gathered at the riverfront. I parked at the point, and walked with the masses of people over to the freight master's building. The concert was great-- it was so nice to see old friends, and exhilarating to play as part of such a large band. It was also challenging-- I have been playing again (not exactly regularly, but at least playing), but I hadn't seen any of the music in years (or, in some cases, I had never seen the music)! We played a good selection of movie tunes and popular favorites, so the crowd seemed to enjoy it.

After the first set, and some speeches by dignitaries (just like the 1909 celebration!), the boats arrived. Although the Onrust, the Clearwater, and the Governor Cleveland Tug had docked in Athens and Hudson, respectively, the Half Moon, the John J. Harvey Fireboat, the Launch 5, and the Riverkeeper all returned to Catskill.

Once again, the John J. Harvey was a crowd favorite, with its water show:

The Half Moon, seen up close as it docked, was also quite impressive:
The Launch 5 up close, with its lights on: and the Riverkeeper:

Being a great lover of tug boats, I was of course sad to miss the Governor Cleveland, but it was great to see all the others.

After the arrival of the boats, the band played a couple more numbers, and we were then treated to a performance by the cast of the "River of Dreams" musical. They are certainly a very talented group of kids! I was sad to have missed the performances of the musical, but this was the second time I had seen the students perform some of the musical numbers (they also performed at Clermont's Sheep and Wool Festival). The music, and its lyrics about the river, are the perfect accompaniment to the book "River of Dreams," by Hudson Talbott.
Finally, the band played a couple more numbers to close out the night. One of my favorites, a medley of big band tunes, which we had played when I was in high school, was given new life with performances by a number of students doing improv. solos. They too were incredibly talented, and really got the crowd excited!

All in all, it was an awesome day. I feel incredibly lucky that I was able to be involved in two special, historic events. If only the cats could have paraded down Main Street to meet the ships...

1 comment:

  1. Did you see that Clermont had another visit? We got a surprise, and up-close, sail-by from the Half Moon. It's good to have friends about the boat!

    ReplyDelete